HOME ISN'T HOME

Cyril Kamahindu stood outside his office with his hands akimbo and a broad smile on his face. God had been nothing but gracious and faithful. There were a number of rough edges in his life, but it was nothing compared to what God had blessed him with. Cyril and Sons Company Limited was doing well. Exceptionally well. Better than any other business in Thaita town. His greatest achievement however was having his two sons work alongside him. Nothing gave him satisfaction other than God being his life’s foundation and building his business empire with both his sons by his side.


“God is good!” He said to himself, the broad smile growing larger as he shut the door to his Mercedes and walked towards the building that housed his company. 

Martin, Cyril’s second borne son had arrived earlier than the rest of the workers. Holed up in his office which was directly opposite that of his dad’s, he finished up on his management reports. There was a meeting at 10 am with the company’s boards and as the Finance Manager; his main role was to update management on the company’s annual financial progress.

He emailed the reports to the company’s secretary, shut his laptop and walked to his office window. The view outside was a site to behold, the morning breeze refreshing; facing his office window was the vast tea plantation and trees that bordered the plantation. He had money, lots of it. He could have any woman he wanted. At 27, he had three cars, a house next to his dad’s vast estate and was a shareholder to the company he run with his dad and older brother. This had to enough, at least by the standards of the world. Right? Wrong!

You see Martin is what you would call a restless soul. He loved to live life with a big spoon. In disguise of course so no one his father knew would notice him. He would run around Thaita town at night with his friends in tow, club hopping and seeking after pretty girls. Good thing was, he hid this side of him from His dad.

He wasn’t about to have his dad see him live a life contrary to what he had taught him. Martin and his brother Michael had been brought up in church. His father was not only an elder in church but also a man after the heart of God. He made sure he brought up his sons in the ways of the Lord. Evening devotions in Mr. Kamahindu’s house were not to be missed since as long as Martin could remember. Their morning alarm was their mother’s morning prayers. The intercessory prayers their mother made every morning between 4am and 5am woke them up right in time to make their short prayers and prepare for school every week day when they were young. And right before they stepped out for school each morning, their father spoke a blessing to them and dedicated them to God.

Much as he no longer lived in his dad’s house, his dad found every reason to commend his sons to God. However, he had it. The mention of God right left and center made him cringe. He couldn’t stand it. Not any longer. To him, God was a party popper out to pop his fun in life.

“What am I doing here?” He said to himself. “I am not meant for the country life. Country life is too slow. I need to turn up my life a notch higher!”

“Good morning Son,” His dad interrupted his thoughts.

“Oh, Hi dad didn’t hear you there. You are in early,” Martin answered as he faced his dad.

Not really, it’s actually 9.30,” said Cyril as he walked over to his son to give him one of his bear hugs.

"God bless you son.” He said to him as he walked back to the door.

“Let’s settle in the board room. Most of the board members are in already here.”

“Sure, ill be right with you. Just give me a sec.” Said Martin as he put his files together.

Martin went through the motions when the meeting finally started. Answering all the questions that were thrown his way. The thoughts he had earlier that morning still haunted him.

“I cant do this anymore. I have to get out of this boring ol’ town.”

“That will be it for today. Thank you all for coming. Ill see you all next time and God keep you.” He heard his dad conclude the meeting.

He was just about to follow the rest out of the board room when his dad called him. “Martin, can I have word with you?

"Aah! Sure dad, what’s up?” Responded Martin as he sat back down.

Cyril waited for the room to be empty as he waved good bye to the board’s chairman. “Something isn’t right with you. You have not been yourself lately.” Cyril said to his son as he pulled a chair next to him.

“You want to tell me what’s wrong? You know there is nothing your old man cant solve. If I cant, we can ask the good Lord to help us out."

There it was, God being thrown into every sentence by his dad. He tried to hide his rage. But his dad noticed it. Something was definitely wrong.

Martin pulled out his chair and walked to the window. “You know what, ill tell him.” He said to himself.

“Dad…I…uuh…I..” Cyril’s concern grew. What could be plaguing his son? He waited for Martin to speak not wanting to interrupt him.

“Dad, I’ve been thinking. And I…Uh, I want out.” He started, unable to face his dad.

“What do you mean son? What do you want out of?"

“I want out of your company. I can’t stand this place.” He finally said it. “I want out of this life, this town, your church, your...God…” His anxiety mounting and his voice rising.

“What do you mean my company son?” His father rose up and went to him, his voice quavering.

 “This is your company as well son. I need you here. It will be yours and your brother’s when I retire. Whatever it is you are going through we can face it together. We can enquire of the Lord, ask Him to help you through whatever you are facing. Ask…”

“I can’t stand it dad. I want to live my life, my way. Without you there to dictate how I live and without having to hear about this God I once trusted that took mum away. I want to have fun dad. There is no fun here.” Martin retorted back.

Cyril fought back the tears that stung his eyes. “Help me God”. He said a silent prayer. The way he saw it, there was no arguing with his son. Being a chip of the old block, Martin wasn’t one to change his mind. And this young man had already made up his.

Martin tried to calm himself down. There, it was finally out. He looked at his dad expecting a retort from him. All he got instead was a loving look from his old man that almost made him guilty of how he had spoken to him.

“It’s okay son. If that is how you feel then I will not hold you back. I believe you want to settle in the city,” said his father as he walked back to the seat.

His dad’s response took him back. This is not how he expected his dad to respond. “Uum… Yes…”

“Well, I know you have your own money but I will help you settle in as well so you can live comfortably.” Cyril was surprised by his own response as well. This must be God helping him out. His stubborn self wouldn’t have let his son leave without a fight.

“How much would you need?”

That lit Martin’s spirits. “I want all my shares.” With his father being this submissive, it would definitely not be difficult for him to grant this outrageous request. He fired his shot.

“All of it?” Cyril was shocked. “Yes dad, all of it,” answered Martin.

This son of his would give him a heart attack. “Very well then, ill transfer it all to your bank account by Monday of next week. I hope you are making the right decision child.”

Martin ran to his dad and gave him a hug; beside himself with joy! This was unbelievable. He could finally live his life and his dad had given him his blessing. Complete with money to fund his lifestyle. “Of course I am dad. You know me, I am never wrong.” He tightened his hug, hardly noticing that his dad barely returned. Martin then half walked half ran out the door. He could not contain his joy.

Cyril was left in the board room, unable to believe what just happened. “How did I not see it? How did I not notice the change in my son?” Tears now freely flowed from his eyes.


“He is all yours now Lord. Take care of him.” He said to God as he took his dabbed his eyes with the handkerchief and composed himself for his next meeting.

...To be continued, like for real ๐Ÿ˜Š





I decided to take a break from the earlier posts to focus on a few things a friend requested I address. With social distancing, curfew and the stay at home directive, we are left with a lot of time in our hands. This time forces us to think, rethink and realign our lives. Some of this realigning I believe involves rebuilding our relationship with God. Stay tuned, you'll see where this goes.

Don't worry. I wont keep you waiting long. Plug in and leave your feedback. See you on Wednesday.

Till then, as Iron Sharpens Iron, Sharpen your friends as well.

Stay safe, Stay home and God keep you ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Comments

  1. At first when I started reading, it looked like Lui of the Maria tv program and the Dad then towards the end I saw where you were going...

    ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ it looks like Part 5 of your series๐Ÿ˜…...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MIGHT GOD BE REALLY GOOD AND MAN JUST DOESNT SEE IT?

ENCOURAGEMENT FROM THE SOURCE

IS GOD REALLY GOOD OR ARE WE REALLY BAD?